Snow Patrol :: View topic - Buy the Times newspaper today....21/04/06

FAQ  Members  Profile  PM's  Search  Login/Out
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snow Patrol > SP General
Buy the Times newspaper today....21/04/06
Author Thread
danielarn

Buy the Times newspaper today....21/04/06  Reply with quote  

When I sat down with my cup of tea and Times newspaper i didn't expect to see what I did. Low and behold was an interview with G about the new album and expectations, The interview is by Pete Paphides and the title is called 'Confessions of a Snowman'. The interview is a two pages long and has pics of G at live 8. i quote from the Times 'I keep finding new ways to hurt people'. this isn't true (at least for me) all G does is bring me joy. You can also download a 'vodcast' off
www.timesonline.co.uk/podcast

hope everyone goes out and buts the Times its well worth it today.
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 9:25 am
Number32

Longtime fan of the band but never posted before. Until now...

From the article mentioned above:

"A decade after he and drummer Jonny Quinn got together at Dundee University and formed Polar Bear (the existence of another Polar Bear necessitated a name change), Lightbody claims that morale among the five-piece is stronger than ever."

This version of events also appears on the band website.

Did Gary and Mark not form the band at Dundee in 1994 with Jonny replacing Michael Morrison on drums in 1997/98?

I know Mark was asked to leave the band, but is there any need to be rewriting history?

What's done is done and people have to move on but Mark at least deserves some acknowledgement of his part in the band's formation and, latterly, their success. Why was there any need for the band or management to change the biography?
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:43 am
ClaireM

So much good press for SP recently....There is a small article in this weeks Hotpress, didnt note the name of the person who wrote it but they reckon Eyes Open will make top 20 in the US and would'nt be surprised if it make Top 10. Great News !!!
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:16 am
danielarn

Top 10  Reply with quote  

yeah id reckon that 'Eyes Open' makes it into top 5, You're all I Have....lets also hope anywhere above 10. BTW i know its a bit early to be mentioning this but in the article G said that 2007 would be another album year..........
who knows Rolling Eyes
dan
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:35 am
trini

Is this the same article?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,585-2143137_1,00.html

Confessions of a Snowman
Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody tells Pete Paphides how his own infidelity inspired him

“If you press your nose against the window,” offers Gary Lightbody, “it’s like being stuck inside an enormous Viewmaster.” By way of illustration, Snow Patrol’s 29-year-old frontman cranes his neck to meet the London skyline behind him. “The only thing is that, obviously, the London Eye never used to be there when you had Viewmasters. It looks like it could just set off. Just start moving down the street. It’d be great to see it go past, wouldn’t it?” Place the Northern Irish singer amid the trappings of fame — in this instance, swish apartment blocks overlooking the Thames — and his default mode is surreal whimsy. He points to a small tugboat beside Lambeth Bridge and insists that, had the band’s breakthrough album Final Straw (2004) not saved their commercial bacon, we might be doing the interview from there — or, more likely, a shed in the Outer Hebrides.

It’s no surprise that he’s come to rely on his sense of the absurd. Three years ago, the idea that this tiny Glasgow-based indie collective might have landed a plum spot at Live 8 would have been surreal in itself, as would the notion that David Gilmour, no less, would seek out their dressing room to declare that he and his family are fans.

Surreal whimsy is also a good weapon when discussing the heavy emotional weather of Snow Patrol’s imminent fourth album, Eyes Open. Lightbody will muse entertainingly about going insane in an Irish cottage near Dingle Bay trying to overcome writer's block while cats, mice and spiders risk the wrath of his right foot by scuttling unannounced into the room. At the same time there’s no escaping the fact that, from beginning to end, Eyes Open is an experience similar to driving into a thick storm. Lightbody has written about his infidelity before, but not quite as starkly as he does on his band’s fourth album.

When the words finally came, nobody was more startled than Lightbody himself. Sitting down to write Headlights on Dark Roads he began: “For once I want to be the car crash” — and promptly got his wish. As the extent of his guilt became clear to him, so did his unhappiness. “Writing these songs, it wasn’t a particularly nice time,” he concedes. “The central relationship in the album happened a few years ago. But trying to write about it re-established all those feelings in my head.”

As it happens, it’s a point he barely needs to make. On Make This Go On Forever and You Could Be Happy, Lightbody sounds nauseous with regret. Being on the road, he says, arrests a person’s development, “but just because I know that, it doesn’t make me any less of an idiot”.

Having completed the album, Lightbody was left with an onerous choice. Should he tell his ex-girlfriend that several of his most harrowing new songs were addressed directly to her, or allow her to work it out for herself? Acting with a belated sense of honour, he contrived to meet her, CD in hand. “It was hard for her to listen to, obviously,” he says, “but I felt it was just one of those things I needed to do, rather than take her by surprise. It was a tough afternoon for both of us.”

At least, I suggest, she knows he’s sorry now. That has to be a good thing. “Yeah, but I keep finding new ways to hurt people,” comes the matter-of-fact response. “People say this album is the sound of a band maturing, but it’s not really. The music is maybe a little more mature, but all of its themes are sourced from much immaturity.”

Can that ever change? When bankers or secretaries confront their sins, nobody loves them for it. They get on with their lives and resolve to try harder. When indie frontmen do the same, they get to see thousands of fans singing their indiscretions back to them. Last week Snow Patrol performed the second of two low-key shows in Camden. If you had been there, you would have heard the refrain, “Please just save me from this darkness” (from Make This Go On Forever) delivered to a gale of sympathetic applause. If he isn’t careful, that’s the kind of absolution a singer could come to depend on.

Lightbody warily takes the point. “I’d like to think we weren’t really asking for anything back from people, or that I needed some kind of vindication myself. In some ways, it’s therapeutic. The problems that I had when I was writing the songs are forgotten onstage.”

A decade after he and drummer Jonny Quinn got together at Dundee University and formed Polar Bear (the existence of another Polar Bear necessitated a name change), Lightbody claims that morale among the five-piece is stronger than ever. He wants them to put out a fifth album before the end of next year, “because we’re more productive than our discography suggests”.

Asked about the pressure to yield “another Run” he shrugs. “Pressure is not having had a hit in the first place. Or having a day job to pay for your music.”

For a measure of their progress in recent years, it’s worth bearing in mind that in 2003 Lightbody’s semi-recreational side-project the Reindeer Section had accrued considerably more column inches than his “proper” band.

With their massed ranks (20 or so performers on the second album), including members of Belle & Sebastian and Teenage Fanclub, a third Reindeer Section album is surely a logistical impossibility. “I think we’re going to do everything to make it happen,” says Lightbody. “After our last London show, though, I’m not sure whether anyone would want us back.”

Ah, yes. That’ll be the infamous Festival Hall show, the one where the thrill of sharing a stage with the great and the good of Scottish indie rock prompted Snow Patrol’s then-unknown frontman to strip off, was it not? “Well, to set the scene,” begins the singer, “we finished a song called Tout le Monde, which is this sort of AC/DC knock-off that keeps building and building. At that moment the notion just took me that there were 20 people on stage and they’re getting on fine by themselves, so I decide I’m gonna get my kit off.

“The worst bit was when I ran off the side of the stage and couldn’t find the dressing room. I was wandering round in the f***ing catacombs of the Festival Hall in the buff. People were just wolf-whistling. I finally found a dressing room, but obviously all my clothes were onstage . . .”

It seems worth pointing out that most people have nightmares about that sort of thing. “I know,” smiles Lightbody. “And I actually create my own. It’s my greatest talent.”
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:53 am
trini

Just read the article.

Whoa, that was, well - revealing! Can't find the right words yet. Will surely look at the album in another light.
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:57 am
Number32

That's the one i found.

Good article but after following the band for so long I'm just disappointed that the band/management felt they could/should have changed the biography.

And i'm surprised some of the more longer established members of the board have not picked up on this as far as i know) . They are usually pretty sharp on all things Snow Patrol.

This may seem trivial to most people but if it wasn't for Mark's contribution the band may well not be where they are today. I just think that should be rightfully acknowledged. No more than that.
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:06 pm
trini

Agreed

Re-writing history, even bad history, is to deny it's contribution to the person you are now. And if you like who you are now or where you are now, then was well worth it.
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:14 pm
Davy

Maybe the journalist got it wrong? Snow Patrol did not write the article.
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:14 pm
Spam_up

I can see what your saying, but the article also fails to mention the additions of Nathan and Paul...so I'm thinking it's maybe just swings and roundabouts.

Perhaps the lack of column inches meant them havng to leave certain information out of the article, I don't know.

I wouldn't like to think though, like you said, that Mark's contribution was lost in any way, or forgotten. I wouldn't profess to know any of the lads or the management but you just get a feel for their demeanour when you follow them...if you know what I mean, and im sure thats not the case.

ps this is probably the most profound thing I've ever said on here Laughing

Just a Shandy Bass for me please....
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:25 pm
trini

Profundity is way overrated. Slapstick's the path to nirvana Razz
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:32 pm
Spam_up

Im a toilet humour kinda guy to be honest Wink Laughing

Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:43 pm
Number32

That part of the article is very similiar to the bio now on the website so draw your own conclusions. It's probably part of the press pack.

I appreciate the journo has not mentioned Nathan or Paul but saying Gary formed the band with Jonny in Dundee is factually incorrect and disrespectful to one half of the original partnership (with respect to Jonny)

Gary, to his credit, often posts on the forum himself. He formed the band so he knows what the story is (from the Tav Bar onwards). After all we all knew very quickly they don't support Rangers or Celtic.
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:46 pm
danielarn

songs and sadness  Reply with quote  

what Gs saying about the album is amazingly sensitive, however like Final Straw, SP get the right mix of sad and happy songs, i mean 'Run' and 'Spitting Games' great songs but totally different. i feel the same thing with this album, You're all i have....happy anthem, and the sad twin brother...........possibly chasing cars.
well i think that history is history concerning Mark, yes he did contribute and was a great guy, but wev got paul now and he seems to be doing a great job..
Rolling Eyes
dan
Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:47 pm
Spam_up

quote:
Originally posted by Number32
I appreciate the journo has not mentioned Nathan or Paul but saying Gary formed the band with Jonny in Dundee is factually incorrect and disrespectful to one half of the original partnership (with respect to Jonny)

True. Like Davy say's though, journo's have been known to get it wrong from time to time...*cough*NME*cough* Wink

As for the bio mate, have just read it myself and you're right...no mention of Mark. Must admit, i found it quite weird, like you said though, probably press pack.

Anyways, welcome to the forum dude! Very Happy

Post Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:57 pm